1. Where are you from? – I’m from the Midwest.
2. Tell us your latest news? – I’ve completed the 3rd book in my Forbidden Love Series with Red Rose Publishing and hope to have it to my readers late 2012 or early 2013. My Best Friend’s Sister – Book 1 and Serena – Book 2
3. When and why did you begin writing? – I began writing as a pre-teen mostly because I have always had a vivid imagination and I’d write done things and read them later with friends.
4. When did you first consider yourself a writer? – When I finished my first book and wrote “The End.”
5. What inspired you to write your first book? – I was the youngest in my family and the very first book (which has never been published) was inspired by the fact it drove me crazy being the youngest.
6. Do you have a specific writing style? – Yes. I write what I feel needs to be told. Not all people love the same way or express their feeling the same way. I endeavour with my writing style to enlighten as well as entertain my readers.
7. How did you come up with the title? – My titles sometimes change several times during the writing of a book. Ultimately, I try to pick a title that I feel expresses the book content.
8. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? – Absolutely, all my books have a message of hope, forgiveness and unconditional love.
9. How much of the book is realistic? – A large portion of my books are realistic. Maybe not my reality or your reality but there is always someone that can relate to what I try to convey.
10. Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life? – Yes, I have loosely based many of my characters on my own personal experiences as well as the experiences of people I know or have had contact with.
11. What books have most influenced your life most? – I’m a die hard romantic so romance novels I’d have to say.
12. If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? – I love so many that would be hard to pick. While romance is my first love I read a wide variety of genres and I probably have a favorite author from each genre.
13. What book are you reading now? – I’m not reading anything right now. Believe it or not however the last book I read was the Twilight series. I never had any interest in those books so I may very well be the last person who has read them. I believe they came out in like 2008 and I read them in 2011.
14. Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest? – Actually yes. I think there is alot of unrecognized talent out here.
15. What are your current projects? – I’m currently working on my first IR romance and my first futuristic romance. I’m so excited.
16. Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members. – I don’t know if I would call it supported but once I decided I wanted to be a published author I joined a writing group. A few of the woman hated everything about my writing. They hated my character names, the premise of the story, the title, you name it and they disliked it. It made me want it that much more. Interestingly enough the only major change I made to that story was the title and its my biggest seller.
17. Do you see writing as a career? – Yes.
18. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book? – No.
19. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated? – I’ve always been interested in writing my thoughts down. Now I can recall when my focus on what I wrote originated. I was in high school and a friend gave me a romance novel to read. I loved it! The only thing that bother me was when I went to get more the selection of African American novels was so limited. That’s when my focus became African American Romance.
20. Can you share a little of your current work with us? – I would love to but I always make so many changes to my work before it finally makes it to the publisher that I don’t think it would be a good idea.
21. Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing? – The most challenging thing for me when I write is to remain objective. I have to struggle at times not to make my characters only as I would like them.
22. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work? – Brenda Jackson and Johanna Lindsey are two of my favorites. What I love most about their work is the commitment to family in their characters.
23. Do you to travel much promoting your book(s)? – Not right now.
24. Who designed the covers? – My publisher. They do allow my input but they make the final decisions.
25. What was the hardest part of writing your book? – Most of the time it is getting my family to leave me alone and not bother me when I’m in the zone. I hate being interrupted when I’m writing. I’m getting better at it though because they don’t care. Lol…
26. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? – Yep, I learned that my characters take over my head until I have completed their story.
27. Do you have any advice for other writers? – My advice would be to write what you love not what’s hot at the moment or what you think will sell.
28. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? – I’d just like to thank the many readers that have showed me so much love. Of course I love the characters I write about but the feeling I get when I hear from a reader that either loved one of my books or was deeply touched by it, well I can’t describe it. Again, thank you and look for much more from me in the coming years.