DJ GATSBY’S BOOK CLUB INTERVIEW: TAQUILA THOMPSON AUTHOR OF “VISITING DADDY”
1. Where are you from?
I’m from a small town in South Carolina called Ridgeville but I moved at the age of 8 to Jedburg.
2. Tell us your latest news?
I have my first book called Visiting Daddy set to be released November 15th. It is the first story out of the Not Your Ordinary Family Series which is a series for kids who are dealing with growing up with a parent in the prison system.
3. When and why did you begin writing?
I began writing at the age of 14 because it was a chance for me to escape from my crazy home life.
4. When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I started to consider myself a writer around the age of 19 because that’s when I started to take it seriously. I was at a crossroads with two kids to take care of and writing was the one thing that I have always been good at.
5. What inspired you to write your first book?
My daughter’s experience with her dad inspired my first book.
6. Do you have a specific writing style?
No, I don’t have a specific writing style. Generally I just write the way I feel and how I see things. Which is usually different than most. So I guess you could say that I have a signature writing style.
7. How did you come up with the title?
I came up with the title Visiting Daddy because it sums up what the story is about.
8. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
I want them to grasp that there are kids out there who deal with this situation and that people should stop trying to sweep it under the rug.
9. How much of the book is realistic?
The whole story is realistic it had to be in order for the story line to work.
10. Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
The experience is based off my own experience with my father as well as my daughter’s experience.
11. What books have most influenced your life most?
I would say that Tears of a Tiger influenced me the most because its a story that has stuck with me for years.
12. If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
I would say that Kiexiza Rodriquez has helped me a lot in my journey as well as allison Essence edwards. They have been really patient and great at pointing me towards the right path.
13. What book are you reading now?
Currently I am not reading a book I have been kind of busy but I just finished reading Strawberry Mansion by Julia Press Simmons and it was a great book. A must read for sure.
14. Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
Cha’Bella Don has drawn me in. She is always on her thang. As well as Aaron Bebo.
15. What are your current projects?
A Friend in Need Which is the second book out of the children’s series and a Stopping the Silence anthology which is dedicated to bringing light what victims of sexual abuse go through.
16. Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.
Book clubs have really embraced me because my story is such a unique one
17. Do you see writing as a career?
Yes I do!! I love it I couldn’t see myself doing anything else.
18. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
No, I wouldn’t change anything. I love it the way it is.
19. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
No I can’t recall how my interest grew. I was just always a really good story teller.
20. Can you share a little of your current work with us?
Sure all you would have to do is check out my author page on Facebook and Not Your Ordinary Family Series Fan page
21. Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
I would say trying not to get too emotionally attached is the challenging part for me
22. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
I have too many to name!
23. Do you to travel much promoting your book(s)?
I don’t travel a lot right now but everywhere I go I handout bookmarks and let them know where to find and purchase my book.
24. Who designed the covers?
Donna Clark Osborn
25. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Breaking down the story in a way that kids could understand it without shoving the bad down their throats.
26. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
I learned that its not as easy as it looks.
27. Do you have any advice for other writers?
I would say that it takes patience. Its not just going to happen overnight but in the end it is well worth it.
28. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Yes, Thank you guys for all the support!! I wouldn’t be here without you.
End of Interview Questions
“VISITING DADDY” RELEASE DATE : NOVENBER 13TH 2011
COMING SOON! Pre-Order Today: http://www.facebook.com/notyourordinaryfamilyseries
AUTHOR TAQUILA THOMPSON
Taquila’s Daughter “Lyric”